Sophie's World #3

What is midsummer’s eve? This is the first time I heard about it and I'm wondering why there isn't a specific date for it. Also the birthday party invite list. Sophie finally tells her mom about Alberto and the philosophy lessons, and her mom immediately was like, “Why don't you invite him!” She's never met this man before and she seems to have no issue with the fact that this stranger, a grown man, has had continuous face to face contact with her daughter. Why does Alberto keep getting angry about the letters from Hilde’s dad? There's a lot of unanswered questions. Alberto then describes the Baroque, a period of many wars and a concern with the fleeting nature of life. People believed life was like a theater. Philosophy was characterized by conflict between idealism, the belief that existence is spiritual, and materialism, the belief that only material things really exist. Ideals is the doctrine that ideas or thoughts make up fundamental reality. Essentially, it is any philosophy which argues that the only thing actually knowable is consciousness, whereas we never can be sure that matter or anything in the outside world really exists Materialism states that everything in the universe is matter, without any true spiritual or intellectual existence. Existence is explainable solely in material terms, with no accounting of spirit or consciousness. People who believe this see the universe as a huge device held together by pieces of matter functioning in subjection to naturalistic laws. Since materialism denies all concepts of special creation, it relies on the theory of evolution to explain itself. I'm somewhere in between these two beliefs. I don't think that everything is unknowable, but I do agree that there are some things that can't be known. I also believe in the theory of evolution, but I think it's foolish to completely disregard spirit or consciousness. 

The baroque period was a major time of musical revolution. It was a hugely important time for composers such as Mozart, Bach, and Haydn. My boyfriend is a hugely talented classical pianist, and he told me about the baroque period. It's focused around very strict and mathematical rhythms and tempos, also typically in an ABA format (primary theme, secondary theme, and tertiary theme). There's not too many modulation to other keys, (the act or process of changing from one key (tonic, or tonal center) to another and may or may not be accompanied by a change in key signature) unless the key being enhanced is the dominant of the home key. My boyfriend, Lucas, has played piano for a while and has taught me a lot about piano and music theory. I played piano when I was young but am nowhere near as talented as him. My friend James played piano for 8 years but stopped because his workload too heavy and he decided he wanted to focus his efforts on more things he liked more. I started playing guitar when I was 5 and played for around 6 years, before I switched to piano, which I played for 3 years. It's amazing how music is incorporated into everyone's lives, regardless if they realize it or not. Most people have played an instrument in their childhood, whether it was through school or because of their parents influence. Even if you never played an instrument, most people enjoy listening to music. There's such a wide range of music that there's something for everyone. My music taste shifts wildly depending on my mood, but there's so many options I can usually find something that makes me happy. Music is hugely important in helping people’s moods, and has even been found to have restorative properties. Music therapy is the theory that music can help treat mental problems and other issues. People make careers out of this, and many people swear by it. It's been proven that listening to certain types of music can help your memory and can be helpful when you're studying. 

Comments

Popular Posts